- 1 Top 7 Best Mosquito Killers
- 1.1 1. Flowtron BK-80D 80-Watt Electronic Insect Killer, 1-1/2 Acre Coverage – Best Mosquito Zapper
- 1.2 2. Control Solutions Inc 82004505 Permethrin SFR Termiticide/Insecticide, 32oz – Best Outdoor Mosquito Killer Insecticide
- 1.3 3. Burgess 1443 Propane Insect Fogger for Fast and Effective Mosquito Control in Your Yard – Best Mosquito Fogger
- 1.4 4. Summit Responsible Solutions Mosquito Bits – Quick Kill, 30 Ounce – Best Mosquito Bits
- 1.5 5. LIGHTSMAX Solar Powered Light, Mosquito, and Insect Bug Zapper-LED/UV Radiation Outdoor – Portable & Electric Mosquito Killer
- 1.6 6. BLACK+DECKER UV LED Light Bulb Electric Bug Zapper for Indoor & Outdoor Use – Best Indoor Mosquito Killer
- 1.7 7. Mega-Catch Pro 900 Ultra Mosquito Trap – Commercial Mosquito Killer Machine
- 2 Buyer’s Guide and FAQ
- 3 The Bottom Line
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear someone say “mosquito”? Well, you definitely won’t feel happy at that moment. Mosquitoes are the most annoying insects that are known to humankind. They disturb your sweet dreams and can be the reason for many diseases. According to EPA, these insects can even be a contamination source of malaria, West Nile, and dengue viruses.
For over 25 years I have been studying mosquito behavior, trying out all possible ways of getting rid of those insects. I single out two main ways to fight them – by using various chemicals, or by installing a mosquito killing device. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages. They aim to get rid of mosquitoes as quickly as possible, however, not both of the methods are equally safe.
Top 7 Best Mosquito Killers
So, what kills mosquitoes? A mosquito killer is a device or product that has been invented to help people get rid of mosquitoes. With so many of them on the market today, people get puzzled and have a hard time choosing the appropriate one. Continue reading my mosquito killer reviews to find out more about such products and to get a clear idea of which one you need.
1. Flowtron BK-80D 80-Watt Electronic Insect Killer, 1-1/2 Acre Coverage – Best Mosquito Zapper
Flowtron is a best-selling company that specializes in various outdoor products. It has been a leading company for almost 100 years. It manufactures some of the widely popular and effective mosquito killing machine models. Recently, the company grew even larger. Now, besides the production of mosquito killers, they also develop garden and lawn products.
The BK-80D killer model is the highest efficiency zapper that you could have ever found. If you try out this miracle device, you can be definite that mosquitoes will never disturb you again. Its main advantage is that it causes absolutely no harm to the environment, as it doesn’t release any sprays or poison. This is the best mosquito killer, which is completely electrical and pretty cheap to run. It works on an ultraviolet bulb that is, by the way, easily replaceable. The Flowtron zapper leaves no chances for the mosquitoes to survive.
2. Control Solutions Inc 82004505 Permethrin SFR Termiticide/Insecticide, 32oz – Best Outdoor Mosquito Killer Insecticide
Control Solutions is a chemical manufacturer that produces substances for pest control. Personally, this company is my favorite when it comes to buying a powerful insecticide.
Permethrin SFR is one of the manufacturer’s best creations. So, how does it work? Just apply it on your lawn, plant, or soil and wait about 30 days to see results. The reason I like this product so much is because of its versatility. It is a powerful and amazing concentrate that can fight mosquitoes, fleas, wasps, ants, termites, flies, and other creatures.
3. Burgess 1443 Propane Insect Fogger for Fast and Effective Mosquito Control in Your Yard – Best Mosquito Fogger
Do you know what the Fountainhead Group is? If you do, then you must be already familiar with one of its brands – Burgess. Under this brand name, the company distributes several fogger models, which include the one that I am going to tell you about.
When it comes to buying a fogger, I always recommend this one. It is considered to be the best mosquito killing machine due to its high effectiveness. It is one of the fastest insect killers on the market. This portable mosquito killer is a thermal one, so it should be used only outdoors. It provides amazing results not only in destroying mosquito families, but also other bugs, such as biting flies. Also, it is a great advantage that you won’t spend a lot of time using it. You will need only 10 min to cover 5,000 sq feet.
4. Summit Responsible Solutions Mosquito Bits – Quick Kill, 30 Ounce – Best Mosquito Bits
When I need this type of product, I always trust the Summit Chemical company. It manufactures the highest-quality bits that are not only environmentally sound but also effective.
This product has been designed specifically to get rid of insect bodies in any swampy area, or any other water body. Its main advantage is that it does both – kills the mosquitoes and prevents them from developing again. You will see the results within a few hours after using the bits. It is the best outdoor mosquito killer, as it is said to be completely safe and can even be used for various farming operations.
5. LIGHTSMAX Solar Powered Light, Mosquito, and Insect Bug Zapper-LED/UV Radiation Outdoor – Portable & Electric Mosquito Killer
LIGHTSMAX has reached its popularity by becoming the number one seller of various household products of exceptional quality. It manufactures various products that help get rid of mosquitoes, flies, pests, and other unwanted insects.
One of the best company’s products is this outdoor portable mosquito killer. It is solar-powered, which makes it worth the price. You can mount it anywhere in your garden or lawn so that it lights up the desired territory. The mosquito killer lamp can work both in the day and at night. Also, this product is completely environmentally friendly, as it doesn’t use any chemicals to destroy the insects. Moreover, you will not have the necessity to take it inside every time it rains.
6. BLACK+DECKER UV LED Light Bulb Electric Bug Zapper for Indoor & Outdoor Use – Best Indoor Mosquito Killer
Black+Decker is a world leader in manufacturing and selling power tools, home cleaning devices, garden tools, and other appliances. Besides all those products, they also produce powerful mosquito killers.
This electric mosquito killer was designed to make your life much easier and pleasant by effectively getting rid of mosquitoes and other harmful insects. The product uses effective techniques that are safe for humans and pets because they don’t involve any sprays and chemical substances. Moreover, the installation won’t take long. Just screw it into a bulb socket, and that is it. Also, when you notice that the bulb needs cleaning, all you have to do is take off the cap, and all the insects will fall out.
7. Mega-Catch Pro 900 Ultra Mosquito Trap – Commercial Mosquito Killer Machine
Mega-Catch is a highly popular mosquito killing machine’s brand. All of them are extremely powerful and insanely effective. The only disadvantage is that not everyone can afford to buy such a machine.
This killer machine is a great option because it lures in mosquitoes in different ways, which makes it much more effective than other similar traps on the market. No chemicals are being used during that process. The mosquito killer device uses LED lights and CO2 to attract insects. When it detects a bug nearby, a fan turns on and sucks it inside. Then the insects get moved into a container, where they naturally die.
Using Mega-Catch regularly during 6 weeks will allow you to reduce the mosquito population in your area.
Buyer’s Guide and FAQ
Now that you are familiar with all kinds of mosquito killers, let’s figure out which one exactly you need. Each type of product is designed for usage in different areas. So, the main thing to consider before making the actual purchase is to think of the place where you plan to install and apply that device.
Here is a list of the most popular devices and products to fight such annoying insects as mosquitoes:
- Mosquito zappers. This device is used for outdoor areas only. They are a good choice when you want to kill a big amount of mosquitoes quickly. But sometimes the zappers tend to attract wrong mosquitoes, that is not the biting ones.
- Permethrin insecticide. It is the most effective mosquito killer that acts in minutes, and its effect lasts even up to 3 months. It is used outdoors only. You can spray this solution on any surfaces, including your house, lawn, and more.
- Mosquito foggers. They use fog to kill mosquitoes and other insects. Thanks to such a method, you may be sure that your garden and lawn will be free of those insects for almost 3 days.
- Mosquito bits. This natural product is made of specific soil bacteria. It can be spread over various surfaces outdoors, but it will be best effective in water bodies.
- Lightbulb zapper. The bulb is a mosquito-killing device that can be used only indoors. This type of product is the best choice if you are looking for a device that will destroy all of those annoying insects inside your house.
- Mosquito traps. They are highly effective, available in different price ranges, and can be used in different territories. You should be very careful if you have any pets or children, as it is not as safe as all other types of mosquito killers.
Any of the above-mentioned products to kill mosquitoes will do a great job of helping you get rid of those unwanted and noisy insects. Choose the type that suits your needs, and you will forget the sound of a flying mosquito.
Are Mosquito Killers Dangerous for People?
Safety is a very important factor that must be considered before purchasing any type of mosquito killer. This is because not all models are safe for people and pets. Some of them contain harmful chemicals. Even the usual mosquito yard spray can be dangerous, as it can cause an allergy in some people.
Also, please be very careful when using mosquito insecticide and bits. They are extremely dangerous when swallowed. Make sure that you store them in a place unreachable for children and pets.
Always wear protection when using insecticides
Are Mosquitoes Attracted to UV Light?
All of the bug zapper devices use UV light to attract mosquitoes. But is it as effective as any other mosquito killing machine? The truth is that the UV light products attract other insects more than actual mosquitoes. And there is no guarantee that the dead mosquitoes that you find in the zapper are the biting ones. Moreover, according to Wikipedia, a couple of years ago, a study of the zapper effectiveness was conducted. It revealed that only less than half of the mosquitoes which were killed in the machine were the biting ones.
This doesn’t mean that such devices don’t work for mosquitoes at all. They work. But they are not as effective as other mosquito killing machines.
How to Control Mosquito Population Near my Home?
Mosquitoes are very vicious insects, as they tend to spread dangerous diseases. But controlling them is very difficult, and sometimes even impossible. Let me tell you why. According to the study conducted by NY State University, some of the mosquitoes can travel miles from their breeding place. It means that in most cases, it will be impossible to find their breeding site and to destroy it.
However, there are many ways to minimize the appearance of these insects in your house and on your lawn. Here are the steps that you can take to stop the mosquitoes from spreading:
1. Find and destroy any of the breeding sites around your lawn. Many mosquitoes lay their eggs in various water bodies. If you add, for example, mosquito bits, in there, you will destroy the site and can be sure that no new mosquitoes will appear from there.
2. Use mosquito killers wherever possible. If you use one outside your house, you will see less of them inside. That’s a proven fact.
3. Talk to your neighbors. Ask them to look for mosquito sites on their lawns and destroy them.
4. Keep ponds clean. If you have algae growing in your pond, make sure you remove it. Mosquitoes eat it, and if you get rid of algae, mosquitoes will more likely look for some other spot.
Follow these steps to stop the mosquitoes from spreading. But remember that even the best mosquito killer machine cannot give you a one hundred percent result.
The Bottom Line
Mosquitoes are not only annoying and dangerous insects but also are very hard to get rid of. If you purchase a high-quality and effective mosquito killer, you are sure to be one the right track. It is pretty difficult to find the right product, as there are a lot of them on the market, and not all of them are powerful enough to destroy those insects.
I hope that this guide was helpful, and now it is easier for you to choose the needed mosquito killer device. Just remember to consider all the aspects, such as the area where you plan to use it, the price, the type of the device, and of course, think about its safety.
So, what are your experiences in dealing with such insects as mosquitoes? Can you recommend any effective products to get rid of them? Tell me in the comments section.