Hey there! Today, we will talk about how to repel spiders settled on your property. These little pests aren’t just scary to look at, they also pose some real danger to your health. They bite, trigger allergies, and make your life a living hell.
Here are five highly efficient repellents that can put a stop to the most violent spider invasion.
Top 5 Best Spider Repellents
- Tempo Ultra SC 240 ML
- mdxconcepts Organic Home Pest Control Spray
- OFF! Deep Woods Insect Repellant Spray
- Stay Away Spiders Repellent Scent Pouches
- Miss Muffet’s Revenge Spider Killer Indoor and Outdoor Spider Control
1. Tempo Ultra SC: Best for Repelling Spiders and for General Residential Pest Control
No products found.
Tempo Ultra SC is my top pick among all five repellents described in this post. It is not only efficient in exterminating spiders in your house and yard, but also helps with roaches, crickets, water bugs, centipedes, bird mites, fleas, and other pests.
Containing over 11% of beta-cyfluthrin, which is a potent stomach poison, Tempo Ultra SC kills over a hundred different species of pests, leaving the remaining few with nothing to feed on.
Tempo Ultra SC does not kill spiders immediately upon contact. Instead, its poisonous effect builds up gradually and finishes the insect as soon as it has eaten a fatal dose. This property, combined with the long residual of the insecticide, makes it a perfect solution for long-term control of massive spider infestations inside your home and outdoors.
The main active ingredient of this robust insecticide is made up of organic compounds, making it safe for people, pets, and poultry in small doses. However, it easily mixes with water, so be careful not to use it anywhere near open water sources to avoid secondary poisoning.
2. MDXconcepts Organic Home Pest Control: Best Organic Indoor Spider Repellent
No products found.
Mdxconcepts Organic Home Pest Control is a solid runner-up among the most potent anti-spider sprays on the market. Even though it is a bit pricier than the other options, this organic repellent will become an ideal solution for those who have kids or pets in the house and are concerned about the environment.
With no chemicals in it, you do not have to worry about accidentally poisoning your domestic animals or damaging the health of your family members.
One of the best things about this repellent is that it is capable of killing spiders, bedbugs, roaches, and other intrusive ants on the spot. You do not wait around to see if anyone survives, because nobody does. The spray’s oil formula contains peppermint, rosemary, and spearmint, which combine to create a slight odor perfect for keeping ants away from your property.
This effective spider repellent spray comes in a handy container and is extremely easy to use. Just shake the bottle a few times and sprinkle it anywhere the pests might live. Also, spray it directly on a spider when you see one, the creep will drop dead right away. Note that you might need to use it consistently if the infestation is larger than you thought.
3. Off Deep Woods Insect Repellent: Best Personal-Use Insect and Spider Repellent that Works for up to 8 Hours
- Active ingredient: Formulated with 25% DEET
- Scent: Lemon
- Item Form: Spray
- Item Weight: 9.12 Ounces
- Item Dimensions: 4.3 x 2.1 x 6.8 inches
Off Deep Woods is a trusted insect and spider prevention product that can give you as many as 8 hours of protection from mosquitoes, gnats, spiders, ticks, biting flies, and whatever else that can be bothering you on a hot day outdoors. It is a must-have solution for when you go camping or hiking into richly forested areas, teeming with insects.
Due to its operating principle, Off Deep Woods Insect Repellent does not help eliminate spiders and insects that live inside your house. It might scare them off for a little while, but as soon as its effect fades, the pests will be back.
Off Deep Woods is very easy to apply: spray it lightly on yourself, holding the canister 6-8 inches away, and make sure none of it gets on your face or into your eyes and mouth. The repellent can easily withstand a little perspiration; however, if you get seriously sweaty, make sure to reapply it once you are dry again.
4. Stay Away Spiders Repellent Scent Pouches: Best Natural Spider Repellent Alternative to Sprays
No products found.
Stay Away Spiders Repellent Scent Pouches will be an excellent pick for homeowners who are eco-conscious and seek to get rid of a spider infestation in a humane and tidy way.
These heavily scented pouches contain all-natural, plant-based ingredients such as lemongrass, citronella, and rosemary ether oils that are very offensive to the spider’s sense of smell and make spiders stay away from your house for up to 2 months.
Using Stay Away Spider is easy: remove the wrap and hang the scent pouches in different parts of your home that you wish to be spider-free. Check your house for any signs of spider presence and locate the areas that require your utmost attention.
Note that if there is a widespread spider infestation, you might need to use many packs at once, which can turn out to be a rather costly affair. Also, you might need a few follow-up sessions to ensure long-term success.
5. Miss Muffet’s Revenge Spider Killer: an Economical and Reliable Outdoor Spider Repellent
- Active ingredient: Bifenthrin 0.05%
- Item Volume: 0.5 Gallon
- Item Form: Spray
- Item Weight: 1 pounds
- Item Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches
Miss Muffet’s Revenge Spider Killer is considered one of the fittest choices for repelling and eradicating spiders inside your house and outdoors. Due to its versatility, quick action, and impressively long residual effect, the product can be used as an insecticide, a pest barrier, and a repellent.
This potent repellent is supplied in a handy bottle with an attached sprayer and a 3-feet coiled flexible hose that can spout a high-accuracy stream of up to 10 feet high. This means you can easily apply the insecticide on hard-to-reach and elevated spots without using a ladder.
One of the advantages of Miss Muffet’s Revenge Spider Killer is that it can be used with equal efficiency both outdoors and indoors. It is robust enough to provide a durable pest repellent effect in your yard, but at the same time, it is sufficiently delicate to ensure year-round protection of your home from the inside.
Buyer’s Guide: Learn How to Keep Spiders Away Using Different Types of Repellents
Although spiders rely on our warm and comfortable dwellings for survival in winter, they often feel threatened by us. This is why they try to build their homes in secluded, hard-to-access places, which makes them harder to exterminate. Spiders have their unique eating and hygiene behaviors, so most poisons that work well on insects do not kill them.
Many valid options are designed specifically for the treatment of spider infestations, including non-lethal baits, organic deterrents, traps, ultrasound spider repellents, and potent insecticides that kill these creatures immediately upon contact or show delayed toxicity. You will need to consider a few essential factors to choose the right fighting strategy.
Decide how quickly you want your pest problem to resolve. Different products act differently. Some kill quickly on contact or trap a spider and keep it stuck until it starves to death. Others offer delayed efficiency by poisoning the creature and killing it later.
Yet others provide a more time-consuming but humane way to eradicate the problem by causing a barrier that repels spiders and keeps them at a distance.
The choice of methods that allow you to clear your property from spiders is wide. The most trusted ones are insecticides, organic deterrents, glue traps, and ultrasonic repellents.
Insecticides contain poisonous ingredients that kill spiders immediately on contact or via their residual virulence. These are effective methods, but they are also toxic to people, pets, and household animals. Applying insecticides requires following all the instructions provided by the manufacturer carefully.
A spider trap is another popular eradication option. Traps are safe to use around children and pets and generally produce the same impressive results. However, it is a bit messier and may take longer to eliminate the problem of a massive spider infestation.
Industrial and DIY organic repellents are a more eco-friendly option for people who live in a house with kids and animals and are worried about the harmful effects that insecticides have on the environment.
Instead of toxic chemicals, their formula contains herbal essential oils that spiders cannot stand. Depending on the composition, organic repellents can either kill spiders or repel them, creating a long-lasting barrier.
Ultrasonic spider repellents are devices designed to work by emitting a high-frequency sound that irritates the spider’s hearing and disrupts their eating behavior. However, the working range of such devices is too short to cover big spaces, and the waves are too weak to affect spiders in any significant way. Ultrasound spider repellents tend to be even less helpful when used outdoors.
Here are some of the most potent natural and synthetic insecticides that can kill spiders on the spot or soon after the first contact:
- Pyrethrin is a plant-based insecticide that contains an organic chemical, which is extremely toxic to spiders and other insects.
- Pyrethroids are synthetic insecticides, which are chemically equivalent to the naturally derived pyrethrins, only more powerful and durable since they usually include a synergist component that enhances and facilitates their deadly effectiveness. The majority of today’s insecticide spider repellents use pyrethroids as their core active agent.
- Some of the most widely used synthetic insecticides that derive from the Pyrethroids family are permethrin, bifenthrin, beta-cyfluthrin, cypermethrin, deltamethrin, parallelthrin, and esfenvalerate.
- Synergists are chemicals designed to boost the performance of organic or synthetic insecticide agents. On their own, synergists cannot do much harm. In combination with pyrethroids, however, they make it impossible for an insect to recover from poisoning. Some of the best-known synergists are piperonyl butoxide and MGK-264.
Non-toxic ether oils. Some of the following essential oils have shown much efficiency in killing and repelling arachnids like spiders, ticks, mites, and scorpions:
- peppermint oil,
- lavender oil,
- tea tree oil,
- cedar oil,
- thyme oil,
- sandalwood oil,
- clove oil,
- garlic oil.
Safety recommendations for using insecticide spider repellents indoors and outdoors:
- Always choose the insecticide whose action is directed at the type of pest you are dealing with.
- Carefully read the instructions on the label, especially if the insecticide does not come as a ready-to-use formula, but requires mixing.
- Do not apply an insecticide indoors if it is intended for outdoor use only.
- Only apply the insecticide where it is necessary, do not try to cover as much space as possible, hoping for a more impressive result.
- Clear the surface you are treating with the insecticide from any toys, food, and other objects.
- After you have used the insecticide indoors, ventilate the room and do not let anyone come inside until it has dried up entirely.
Related Post: Best Spider Bombs/Foggers Reviewed
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often to Spray a House Spider Repellent?
The frequency of indoor application of a spider repellent depends on the type and form of product you are using. For organic, plant-based repellents, weekly use might be required until you finally stop seeing spiders in your house. Toxic insecticide repellents can provide you with the desired effect after just one use.
How Long Does a Spider Repellent Effect Last?
All-organic repellents in the form of pouches, sprays, or DIY sachets containing a composition of scented herbs and essential oils usually last for 3-6 months. Insecticides and pesticides that include toxic chemicals can stay in force for up to 12 months but might require a few consecutive applications for better effect.
What Does a Spider Infestation Look Like?
The most typical signs of an infestation are frequent sightings of spiders around your house, the abundance of spider webs, egg sacs hidden in hard-to-access places, and an increased number of flying insects. If you spot a spider, try searching your attics, closets, and wall-ceiling intersections to see if you can find others. Check your basement, shed, and any dump places inside and outside your house, as some species prefer wet areas.
How and Why Does a Spider Infestation Start?
Most spider infestations start in fall. By the time it gets cold outside, spiders living in your yard debris move inside the house and occupy various household structures, where there is enough prey for them to live on through the winter.
Plenty of spiders in your house might indicate that your property is a nourishing environment for them. A massive spider infestation can be a sign of another undetected pest issue. By identifying and removing the source of food, you can ensure there is not going to be a spider re-infestation.
Final Thoughts and Tips
It is hardly thrilling to know that there are hundreds of spiders living under your roof, hiding in the darkest corners, and crawling out at night to hunt for their unsuspecting prey. If your house is infested, you need to act fast.
This post lists some of the best spider repellents available today. Choosing the right one will depend on your needs, the severity of your insect problem, and your budget. Whether you are looking for a fast-kill, easy-care eradication solution or a durable, humane method to chase the spiders off your property, you are sure to find one here.
Have you ever dealt with a spider infestation in your home? Which repellents/insecticides did you use? Did they help to solve the problem? Feel free to share your story in the comments below!
- Spiders (Department of Health & Human Services, State Government of Victoria, Australia):
- Urban Spider Chart (University of Kentucky):
- Registration Review of Pyrethrins and Pyrethroids (United States Environmental Protection Agency):
- Spiders In and Around the House (Susan C. Jones, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Entomology
Extension Specialist, Household & Structural Pests):
- Pyrethrins General Fact Sheet (National Pesticide Information Center):
- 1 Top 5 Best Spider Repellents
- 1.1 1. Tempo Ultra SC: Best for Repelling Spiders and for General Residential Pest Control
- 1.2 2. MDXconcepts Organic Home Pest Control: Best Organic Indoor Spider Repellent
- 1.3 3. Off Deep Woods Insect Repellent: Best Personal-Use Insect and Spider Repellent that Works for up to 8 Hours
- 1.4 4. Stay Away Spiders Repellent Scent Pouches: Best Natural Spider Repellent Alternative to Sprays
- 1.5 5. Miss Muffet’s Revenge Spider Killer: an Economical and Reliable Outdoor Spider Repellent
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: Learn How to Keep Spiders Away Using Different Types of Repellents
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Final Thoughts and Tips
Why You Should Trust Pest Control Hacks?
We know that pests are nasty neighbors, and it can take months to eliminate them without the right approach. Our experts use their own experience to compile articles and guides that are introductory and informative. Our authors’ opinions are independent and based on the results of practical testing of pest control tools. We do not notify manufacturers of testing of their products and do not receive payment from them for posting their items. Also, our texts are never submitted to company representatives for proofreading before placement. On the site, you will find exclusively objective ratings and reviews.