Rats pee nonstop for the purpose of marking the safest areas or the paths to places with the yummiest food. Rodent urine and droppings are no bed of roses to do away with. That is particularly the case if you don’t take instant and consistent action once you notice that your home has been invaded by the sneaky long-tailed poopers and pee’ers.
The intoxicating odor of rodent pee is pungent and impossible to disregard. And it’s a challenge to eliminate, too. Fortunately, there’s a wide variety of natural and chemical-based ways to remove rodent urine odor almost effortlessly. So, how to get rid of the rat urine smell? In this piece, I’m going to delve deeper into this not-so-charming yet very educational topic. Stay tuned.
In brief, removing rodent piss is more unpleasant than challenging. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Put on protective gear.
- Identify rat piss and its sources.
- Dispose of the smell by following the steps described below.
- Allow air to circulate in the room.
- Mask lingering odor.
- Turn to professionals for the purpose of controlling rats.
How to Identify Rat Urine
Interested in rat pee identification specifics? Great. I know a thing or two about that. You can detect this disgusting substance via its potent, musky, ammonia-like odor. The thing is, rat pee contains tons of nitrogen which form smelly ammonia in combination with oxygen. That pretty much answers your ‘What does rat urine smell like?’ question.
In fact, the stuff smells so sickeningly bad that you won’t be able to leave it unnoticed. Yuck! Does your nose itch or get hot when sensing this pungent odor? Then that’s probably IT! Important note: if this disgusting smell is intense, then you’re probably dealing with more than a random rodent guest in your home. You’re most likely facing moderate to a severe rat infestation.
Aside from the olfactory markers, there are also certain visual indicators of rat piss. It’s not as easy to spot as rat droppings, but I’ll provide some tips to make identification a cakewalk. If you’re noticing tiny, thin, asymmetric, chalk-ish wet trail marks on your carpet or bags, then you’re probably dealing with your uninvited long-tailed guests’ piss.
It’s interesting to note that rat piss is easily identifiable via UV light. Oh yes, it practically shines bright like a diamond under UV light, which makes it fairly easy to detect. Make the most of this knowledge in case you’re on the prowl for places where your rodent home invaders tend to be most active.
Some people actually say that rat urine smells like rubber gloves… So, if you can sense the distinctive ammonia-ish smell in your home, turn to professional help for rodent infestation confirmation. In addition to this, you’ll need to sanitize the surfaces your rodent occupants have peed on. It’s a must-do, for rat piss is known to cause respiratory issues and transmit diseases you want to stay away from.
Ways to Remove Rat Urine Smell
There are two common sources of rat piss:
- the surface where the ‘bomb’ was ‘dropped’;
- the air in that room.
If you want to eradicate the odor completely, you need to address both these sources with maximum attention. Find the steps you need to take to cope with this below:
1. Wear protective clothing. Rat Bite Fever, Salmonella, Hantavirus, Tularemia… These and many more hazardous diseases are easily transmittable from rodents to humans. Some of them don’t even have effective cures as of today. So, if you don’t want to catch those diseases, ensure you wear your protective clothing, along with rubber gloves and a mask prior to even getting close to the stuff.
2. Neutralize IT! While waiting for the arrival of rodent control specialists, you can actually neutralize the smell of rat urine under your own steam. Here’s a quick step-by-step outline of the process:
- find the source;
- allow fresh air into the room;
- utilize a disinfectant spray/enzyme cleaner to eradicate the odor;
- clean every nook and cranny of your room;
- let professionals help you solve your infestation issue.
3. Purify the air from the intense odor. If you don’t do it, rat urine ammonia molecules will keep on spreading inside your house. Open all your windows and position bowls of smell-soaking baking soda, vinegar, or coffee grinds across your house. Replace the stuff in bowls on a regular basis until the smell dissipates.
4. Clean or throw away contaminated household objects. Carpets, rugs, books… Clean all your household objects contaminated by rodent urine. While the former will need a thorough cleaning, your peed-on books and paper files should be placed in the sun for about two days. This will eliminate the nasty smell and kill disease-causing viruses rodent urine brims with.
Prevent Rodent Infestations With Midway Pest Management
If you’re looking for a top-notch pest control company in Kansas, Midway Pest Management might be your best bet. Their specialists will inspect your home, identify rodent invasion, and offer professional help in terms of solving your problem. Aside from rats, they’ll help you get rid of raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, bats, and other annoying critters. No need to waste your precious time smelling rodent piss. Just make a quick phone call and these pros will make the stuff go away in mere moments.
How long does mouse urine smell? Naturally, that depends on how fast you’ll take action and how effective the methods you’ll utilize will be. Generally speaking, the stuff can bother you for up to three weeks if you don’t take immediate action.
Have questions left on the topic of rodent pee? You’re welcome to take a browse through my answers to this blog’s readers’ most frequently asked questions.
Why Should You Get Rid of Rat Urine?
First, rat urine stinks. The odor is intense and awfully overwhelming. You won’t be able to live with it. Second, rat urine contains viruses of dangerous diseases e.g. hantavirus, that float in the air as the stuff dries. If you inhale it, you’ll run the risk of catching the dangerous disease. Furthermore, contacting rodent urine is bad for your skin.
What Are the First Symptoms of Hantavirus?
Some of the earliest indicators are muscle strain, out-of-the-blue fever, and extreme tiredness. Later on, you may feel dizzy and sick in the stomach. In short, this disease is easily mistaken for common flu.
Can You Survive Hantavirus Without Treatment?
This disease doesn’t have a specific treatment or cure. However, the patient should still be brought into intensive care and given oxygen therapy as fast as possible. In case this doesn’t happen, the patient will most likely face long-lasting complications.
Bottom Line: Your Health Comes First
It is in your best interest to clean rat droppings and piss, as well as religiously follow the tips provided in this post. Because your well-being should be your utmost priority. If you don’t have enough spare time to fight your rodent invasion, turning to a professional rat exterminator like Midway Pest Management is your best option. Don’t give up and good luck eradicating the nasty odor!
- Signs of Termite Infestation During Each Stage of Their Life Cycle
- Understanding How Termites Benefit From Cellulose Breakdown
- Comparing the Diets of Drywood and Dampwood Termites
- How to Find Best Pest Control: Guide on Pest Control Services
- Does Salt Kill Ants? Effect on Pests & Proven Methods of Control
So, what about you? Have you ever dealt with rodent pee? Feel free to share your experience with your fellow readers and let it all out in the comments below. Your opinion is very much appreciated here.
Why You Should Trust Pest Control Hacks?
We know that pests are nasty neighbors, and it can take months to eliminate them without the right approach. Our experts use their own experience to compile articles and guides that are introductory and informative. Our authors’ opinions are independent and based on the results of practical testing of pest control tools. We do not notify manufacturers of testing of their products and do not receive payment from them for posting their items. Also, our texts are never submitted to company representatives for proofreading before placement. On the site, you will find exclusively objective ratings and reviews.