Have you found a spider at home? In this guide, I will talk about “how long does a spider live?” With the help of this information, you will be able to understand when your housemates will disappear and not interfere with you. I want to note that spiders’ lifespan is different according to the species. I will tell you about the exact lifespan of a spider. Read on and find out whether the pest will disappear on its own.
Nowadays, there are more than 3,800 types of spiders, so it is difficult to determine which particular spider lives in your house. Most often, the life cycle of spiders lasts only two years, but sometimes these pests can live longer. Male spiders can also die immediately after mating.
Stages of the Spider’s Life Cycle
Spiders have three life stages. I will tell you about each of them in more detail below. All species have the same life cycle, and even the house spider’s lifespan is as described below.
- Egg stage. After the mating period, it takes about two weeks for the eggs to hatch. Some females carry eggs with them. Some species leave their eggs to their own fate and don’t take care of them.
- Little spider. The hatched spiders are very similar to their parents, only much smaller. At this stage, tiny insects are very vulnerable. Due to their rapid growth, spiders shed more often. Females are always larger than males, so they need more time to mature.
- Adulthood stage. This stage starts when the pest reaches the mature stage and can proceed to mate. Female spiders live longer. Males of some species die immediately after mating. Some spiders live for a long time, which can even reach 20 years.
Spider Species and Their Diseases
There are many types of spiders, and currently, the number equals 3,800. Each of these species can have its disease. To determine a spider’s condition, you need to identify its type correctly. Spiders are usually very fragile. Therefore, if you accidentally step on one, it will die. If you have a spider as a pet, it’s best to visit a veterinarian to find out more about its condition. Spiders cannot transmit diseases to humans, so you don’t have to worry about that.
The Life Expectancy of Spiders
The lifespan a spider has depends on the type you are dealing with. The average figure is tricky to determine since some species can live up to 1 year, while others can reach 20 years. Also, life expectancy depends on living conditions. The less attractive your place seems to these pests and the less food you provide them with, the less they will live.
As I have already mentioned, some insects can live longer. Some arthropods also die after mating, but it refers only to mates. To know how long a particular spider will live, you need to identify its type and gender. Specialists from pest control or a veterinarian can help you with this. The longer each stage lasts, the more the pest will live.
In this section, I will answer some questions that you might have regarding the duration of a spider’s life. If you have any queries I haven’t addressed here, let me know in the comments below this post.
Do spiders die of old age?
Yes, spiders can die due to old age. Most often, it is females who die old since males do not survive the mating stage. Though it doesn’t refer to all spiders, some male species die immediately after mating, which affects life expectancy.
How long can a tarantula go without water?
A tarantula can live without food for no more than 30 days. Some individuals can live only seven days without water, so it all depends on the particular case.
Can house spiders live outside?
If a spider used to live on the street and then moved indoors, it would survive. If its ancestors did not inhabit the territory where the spider lives now, then the pest would not stay on the street. Therefore, for some insects, getting outside can be fatal.
How long do most house spiders live?
House spiders can live less than a year in your home. The lifespan of a particular spider depends on its species. Some insects can live longer, up to 20 years.
How long can spiders live without food?
It all depends on which kind of spider it is. Some of these pets can live without food for months. Most often, spiders can survive for 2 or 3 months without eating anything.
Should You Be Afraid of Spiders?
There is no need to be afraid of house spiders because they will not contact you. They only need to make a web that will give them food. If you don’t try to harm them, they won’t bother you. Their life expectancy is not long. However, if you don’t want more house spiders, then you should kill the larvae. Have you ever met house spiders? Share your opinion in the comments.
- How to Get Rid of a Spider in Your Car: Full Review
- How to Get Rid of Spider Eggs: Complete Spiders Control and Prevention Guide
- What Does Spider Poop Look Like: Complete Removing and Prevention Guide
- How to Get Rid of a Spider Nest: Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners
- How to Get Rid of Clover Mites: Best Ideas
- When Your Pet Has Eight Legs (College of Veterinary Medicine)
- What are Spiders? (Оsumario)
- Spiders in the Home (Colorado State University)
- 1 Stages of the Spider’s Life Cycle
- 2 Spider Species and Their Diseases
- 3 The Life Expectancy of Spiders
- 4 FAQ
Why You Should Trust Pest Control Hacks?
We know that pests are nasty neighbors, and it can take months to eliminate them without the right approach. Our experts use their own experience to compile articles and guides that are introductory and informative. Our authors’ opinions are independent and based on the results of practical testing of pest control tools. We do not notify manufacturers of testing of their products and do not receive payment from them for posting their items. Also, our texts are never submitted to company representatives for proofreading before placement. On the site, you will find exclusively objective ratings and reviews.