Do you love animals but hate it when they get into your vehicle and wreak havoc? There are few things worse than finding a chipmunk nest in your car. The little rodents can cause all sorts of damage, from chewing on wiring to leaving droppings everywhere. But there are some things you can do to keep them out. In this article, we’ll tell you all about how to keep chipmunks out of car.
What Attracts Chipmunks to Cars?
If you have a chipmunk problem in your yard, they may get into your vehicle. Chipmunks are attracted to cars for a variety of reasons. They may be seeking shelter from the elements or looking for a safe place to store their food. Additionally, chipmunks are attracted to the warmth of engines, which can provide them with a cozy place to sleep.
How Can Chipmunks Get Into Your Car?
If you have a chipmunk problem, the first step is to figure out how they’re getting inside. Chipmunks can enter through small spaces, so check all potential entry points. Once you’ve located the opening they’re using, you can take steps to block it off. It may require some trial and error, but you’ll be able to keep the little critters out for good.
Where Can the Chipmunks Hide in Your Car?
There are a few places in your car where the chipmunks can hide, and we’ll go over them one by one.
- Under the hood. Chipmunks love to nest in warm, dark places, so your engine compartment is a perfect spot for them. Check here before you start your car, or you could end up with a dead chipmunk (and a big repair bill).
- In the engine bay. This is usually where they’ll build their nest, as there are plenty of nooks and crannies for them to hide in.
- In the trunk. Trunks are usually dark and quiet, making them the perfect place for the chipmunks to sleep during the day.
- Under the seats. If you look under your seats, you’ll likely see a few small holes that lead into the space between the seat and the floor. It is another popular spot for chipmunks to build their nests.
- In the glove box. This is usually one of the warmer spots in the vehicle, making it ideal for the chipmunks to hibernate during the winter months.
What Damage Can They Do?
We all know that chipmunks are cute, but did you know that they can cause damage to your car? Here are a few ways that chipmunks can damage your car:
Chewing on wires
Chipmunks tend to chew on things, including the wires in your car. It can cause all sorts of problems, from short circuits to fires.
Getting into the engine
Chipmunks are curious creatures and often crawl into places they shouldn’t be. This includes the engine of your car. Once in there, they can cause all sorts of problems, from chewing on wires to fouling up the works. Thus, it’s vital to keep chipmunks out of car engine.
Chipmunks love to burrow, and that includes burrowing into tires. This can cause flats or even blowouts.
Step-By-Step Guide on How to Keep Chipmunks Out of a Car
Here are some tips to keep chipmunks out of your car:
- Keep your vehicle clean. They’ll move on if there’s no food or garbage for them to eat.
- Store food in sealed containers. If you must keep food in your car, make sure it’s in a container that chipmunks can’t get into.
- Don’t leave any openings unscreened. Chipmunks can squeeze through tiny spaces, so make sure all your doors and windows have screens.
- Remove potential nesting sites. If there are any areas in or around your vehicle that could be appealing to chipmunks as a nesting site, remove them. This could include piles of leaves, stacks of wood, or anything else that might shelter them.
- Use a repellent. There are several commercial repellents available, so getting a chipmunk repellent for cars will be fairly easy. Follow the directions on the package, and reapply as needed.
Here are some of the most common questions we get asked when people run into the problem of having a chipmunk nest in their car.
How do you lure a chipmunk out of hiding?
Try putting out some food that will attract the chipmunk. Once the chipmunk is out in the open, you can try to catch it. Use some cloth or gloves since chipmunk might bite you in retaliation.
How do you outsmart a chipmunk?
Avoid making sudden movements or loud noises, as these may startle the little creature. Instead, take your time and move slowly, giving the chipmunk plenty of time to adjust to your presence.
How do you get rid of chipmunks fast?
To set a live trap, baited with some food to attract chipmunks. Once the trap is sprung, the chipmunk will be safely contained inside, where you can then release it into the wild far away from your home.
You Don’t Want Chipmunks Living In Your Car
If you have chipmunks in your car, getting rid of them as soon as possible is important. Not only are they a nuisance, but they can also cause extensive damage. We hope that our guide was helpful to you.
Have you ever had chipmunks in your vehicle? How did you get rid of them? Share your opinion in the comments!
- 1 What Attracts Chipmunks to Cars?
- 2 How Can Chipmunks Get Into Your Car?
- 3 Where Can the Chipmunks Hide in Your Car?
- 4 What Damage Can They Do?
- 5 Step-By-Step Guide on How to Keep Chipmunks Out of a Car
- 6 FAQ
- 7 You Don’t Want Chipmunks Living In Your Car
Why You Should Trust Pest Control Hacks?
We know that pests are nasty neighbors, and it can take months to eliminate them without the right approach. Our experts use their own experience to compile articles and guides that are introductory and informative. Our authors’ opinions are independent and based on the results of practical testing of pest control tools. We do not notify manufacturers of testing of their products and do not receive payment from them for posting their items. Also, our texts are never submitted to company representatives for proofreading before placement. On the site, you will find exclusively objective ratings and reviews.